It is all about the money. Lost in Puerto Rico

First of all, "Non hablo Espanol". Thank you ChatGPT for coming through for me once again. Yesterday after a full work day in a shared workspace in San Juan, I took an Uber to my near the airport AirBnB as I wait for my "I cannot wait" departure from US soil on Tuesday, June 20, 2023. 

Using the "most reputable source of directions" to the AirBnB - the address appended to the property on the AirBnB website, I called my Uber, settled in, and for more security also followed our movements on google maps. after 20 or some minutes, Google Maps goes, "Tu-dum, you have arrived."  I thank the driver, haul out my stuff from his car, and bid him adios. that is where my story begins. 

I looked around for the blue canopy which was supposedly unique to the AirBnB property, but nothing. I hurry into my AirBnB inbox and manually retype the address into google maps. Lo and behold, I am a good six minutes drive away. I have a 24kg suitcase, a backpack from outer space those large ones with wheels that can comfortably carry a 5-year-old child, and another huge handbag that contains my laptop, Contigo cup of tea, and soda water. 

Me to myself, "I will call Uber"

Uber: Sorry no rides around you at this time.

Me: The fault is with the card, I will use my work card and have them deduct the expense from my salary

Uber: Sorry no rides around you at this time.

Me: PANIC! I ask google how much walking a 6 min drive is

Google Maps: 29 minutes

Time check 7:00pm. While it is summer in the rest of the US, this place is 100% tropical meaning it is sunset time.

I write to my hosts who have been extremely kind to this point even waiting to welcome me into their humble property.

Me: I am lost. Directions took me to place xxx

Host: Ask the Uber to bring you over

Me: The Uber has departed, there are no Ubers available here

Host: Our other hosts use the same directions and we have never had a problem

Me: I just need help, I am lost. What transport options are around here?

If have ever missed Boda-Bs, this has been the missest I have ever been.

Host: Unfortunately we do not know, we cannot help me.

Me (accepting my reality) grab my bags, stuff my earbud on one side, turn on my book, ask Google for walking directions, put on a confident face, and set off for my destination. imaging all forms of attacks and the possibility of a night on the road. I was genuinely frightened, at one point I almost cried but talked myself out of it quickly. I needed my wits together. Mentally revised by blue belt karate Shotokan moves.

29 minutes later: tu-dum, you have arrived. Wrong venue. A kindly man who "Non Hablo Inglais" wanted to help. We called the host but no one picked up. I sent another message

Host: You are close maybe 2 min

Me: I feel unsafe. I am lost

Host: Ask someone. It is a safe place.

Me: There is no one around.

Host: Silent

Me: Send me the directions again.

Host sends directions.

4 minutes later I was at the house.

Host: We are glad you have arrived. We are concerned and need to know you are safe. Since it is your first time in Puerto Rico we want to know that everything goes well for you. We also offer transportation services in case you need to get anywhere.

Me: You what???? You have transportation services and when I needed it you said you did not know of any options???????

Host: More messages.

Me: I am NOT GOING TO KEEP IN TOUCH WITH WHOEVER THE CALLUOS PERSON IS ON THE OTHER END OF THIS DEVICE.

what I have learned in my travels outside Uganda especially outside Africa is all about money. People generally do not go even a little bit out of the way to help no matter how desperate you are. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dog phenomenon in resource-rich countries (and the case for cats)